Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My "New" Chest

Last week, I showed you my chest-LOL!!! (I crack myself up sometimes!!) Anyways, back to business-The chest-I showed you many inspiration pieces I was drooling over-so I hemmed and hawed (is that a word?) and finally decided I would just paint the drawer fronts-that was the opinion of the majority of you lovelies too!  I started with a base coat of licorice acrylic paint.  I thought I would go with a funky plaid look- I measured the drawers in sections, picked out 4 colors to pattern my plaid and I went to town!

OMG-what a disaster-I truly forgot how bad I am at freehand painting!! It was sooo ugly and goopy too! Yuck-so I wiped it down (can't even go there because in the process I scrubbed so hard, some of the licorice paint was gone too! ) So, I started again, after scraping off the mess and sanding down the drawer fronts.  My vision changed dramatically- I went with scrapbook paper and modge podge-a totally different direction but I'm so happy with the results! Kept the same hardware but sprayed it black- so each drawer used 2 full sheets of paper and a quarter sheet.  The paper was on sale- 12 sheets for $2. I had the paint and the modge podge so basically the transformation cost me about $2.  Not bad for updating a great chest of drawers!!  Well, take care-gotta fly-Claire

Enhanced by Zemanta


  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! I am glad I found your blog as well!

  2. I like the scrapbook paper look. i never would have thought of that, but it works!

  3. It looks beautiful, Claire - I love the different papers you chose. These snow days realy bring out your creativity, eh?!

  4. I really like it! I have a similar dresser and I am just watching it. Thanks for the idea. Once we get above zero degrees, I may have to venture outside. laura

  5. Thanks for checking out my blog. I absolutly love this project. Very CUTE!

  6. Glad I'm not the only one who stumbles in their creative efforts sometimes! You hit a home run despite the glitch. The chest is great. The scrapbook paper adds the perfect amount of subtle interest. I'm your linky neighbor at Feathered Nest Friday. I hope you'll come visit me!
    ~ Lynn

  7. Hi there- Love the scrapbook paper- it is such a great idea and so charming! Such Inspiration!!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

  8. perseverance.. i love that! so many would've been discouraged at making the mistake. i think it was your light bulb moment, and love what you came up with.. great job! love the paper w/ the writing!! :)
    {popping in via project parade}
    many blessings,


Thanks for your kind comments-love to hear from you!